Monday, February 14, 2011

Midnight oil

I heard about this experiment they once conducted on a mouse. Electrodes were connected to the pleasure centres in its brain and it was taught to press a button which would stimulate them. The result was that the mouse kept pressing the button and eventually died of starvation. Yes, it ignored all its other needs. 

We are more similar to mice than we think. Last night, I sat up till 5 am, composing music on my PC. I ignored my need for sleep until I could no longer keep my eyes open. I was driven by the highest sort of pleasure, the one that comes from creative expression. The result was that I slept through most of today. I got attendance for it though, so I don't mind. 

What is creativity? Where does the drive come from? Why is it so pleasurable? These are questions I often dwell on. I'll be sure to discuss the answers to them in the coming days.

No comments:

Post a Comment