Thursday, February 10, 2011

The joy of shoe-shining

Today I polished my shoes. Now this is a simple, iterative activity which requires almost zero mental effort. Perhaps this is the reason why I found it so enjoyable. We fail to realize that even when we are sitting idle our brain is constantly working. We are thinking, day-dreaming, plotting to take over the world ...etc and in such manner keeping our brain furiously active. But for some reason, when our body is engaged in a simple task, the brain takes a breather and the result is that we feel relaxed and happy. I am definitely going to do this more often. Being of a naturally lethargic disposition, I have been constantly ignoring the benefits of physical work. This clearly has to change. I now realize that my brain needs some rest once in a while and a very elegant way of achieving this is to polish shoes. In fact, I am now seriously considering a career as a professional shoe-shine. An added bonus is my love for the smell of shoe-polish. It smells sweet and leathery, a very pleasant aroma overall. 

So here's to squeaky clean shoes and rich black polish!


No comments:

Post a Comment